Saturday, August 25, 2012

Crazy Legs guitar solo

Since I just started I thought I would put up another tab and after Scotty Moore who next but the legendary Cliff Gallup. I think Cliff Gallup remains one of rock's greatest enigma's.  A technically proficient guitarist who played at breakneck speed who just as fast disappeared never to record rock music again.  Thank god we had him even for the short time he played with the great Gene Vincent.  This is the first solo from Crazy Legs.  The second solo is actually pretty similar to the first.  The first three notes are slightly muffled and the last few are sort of obscured by Gene's vocals.  So I did my best for those.  The thing I would note is that on the sliding double stops on bars 4 and 5, I play the slide with downstroke and the A note on the 7th fret with an upstroke.  I denoted this for the first slide.  You can play it how you like but I think its easier that way even if it deviates from strict alternate picking.

A couple things I'd like to add about the solo.  The lick over the D chord is a great classic lick that can be played over the IV in any key.  It's a great lick when you are jamming and can't think of something else  or need to come up with something fast. The great thing about it too is you can play it over the I chord as Cliff does in the second solo. This lick is included as one of the licks in the great rockabilly instruction video 50 rockabilly licks you must know by Jason Loughlin.

50 rockabilly licks you must know

Another interesting thing about this solo, at least the first few measures,  is how Chuck Berrry-esque it is at least compared to Cliff Gallups other solos.





1 comment: